Please consider registering
Forum Scope

Start typing a member's name above and it will auto-complete

Match

Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
Did you go to the 2005 All About Fruit Show?
Steven
183 Posts
(Offline)
October 17, 2005 - 4:14 pm

Did you go to the 2005 All About Fruit Show? We want to hear your feedback, requests, and ideas!

Post away! 8)

Viron
1400 Posts
(Offline)
October 19, 2005 - 9:35 am

No, Steven, I didn't... and I feel remiss ~ Many years ago, the HOS "All About Fruit Shows" served me well. Having just inherited a homestead, I was ready to shuffle the orchard. I'd done my homework, so well in fact I missed only 2 of the (I believe 20) 'Apple questions' on a computerized quiz near the entrance. Listening and note taking, several knowledgeable speakers made the modest entry fee well worth it. But my life on the farm was forever enhanced by the presentation of Jim Gilbert {of One Green World, at that time "Northwoods Nursery"}. Jim described three varieties of fruiting plants I'd have never considered: Persimmons, Figs, and Kiwi - Thanks Jim - they are the most productive and successful fruit crops I grow!

I also utilized the multitude of tasting booths {Jessie and Byron Webster of Yamhill County had by far the most impressive}, and I can still envision Byron handing me a generous cluster of Suffolk Red seedless table grapes - delicious!

But as of late, my efforts have concentrated on the HOS Spring Scion Exchange – grafting-my-guts-out for the last… 8 years. As far as the Fall Fruit Show; my persimmons are still green, the kiwi are even "greener," and my figs are long-gone! Sorry folks... But, I do have a plan! - though it's remained only that ~

Inspired by a presentation at those same Fall Shows, {it may have been Glen Mills} someone had the most fascinating display of actual tree grafts. Old grafts, cut through the union and exposing the original scion deep inside, then sanded and polished {OMSI style}. I was taken! I do not believe that display has been on hand as of late?

My plan: I, after twenty-something years of grafting everything I could match up; from quince onto pear, pear onto apple, filberts to wild hazel nuts (didn't take) - bark grafts, cleft grafts, crown grafts, bridge grafts, and the good ol' whip & tongue graft - several have met their demise... Barely able to remove them... I will saw directly through the original graft to see how it formed, and have saved many of these as curiosities. Displaying several of them at last Springs Grafting classes, reaction was so positive I decided I need present them at a larger HOS event; and since I couldn’t show & tell & graft at the same time {though I try!} to save a finger or two, I planned to be at this years event with my display - but wasn't.

Problem: I want my specimens to look as 'slick' as those others I'd seen, but I don't have a stationary belt sander, and can't locate one to use. It wouldn't take much, a couple of finer grits would get me going; but I've worn myself out hand-sanding chainsaw scars, and have some nice (larger) 'new' specimens I'd like to display that are still in their rough cut condition... Boy, that was a long 'answer' to a short question! --- I wanted to be there, but wasn't prepared. I am grateful to the Home Orchard Society for providing such a show, and hope to share my successful grafts - though failed trees - with everyone next Fall. And, if there's anyone who knows of a belt sander (preferably stationary, a vise wrecks the bark), please let me know?

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Idyllwild
Moderators:
jafar
Marsha H
Viron
John S
Top Posters:
Rooney: 772
DanielW: 519