Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
codling moth 2013
DonRicks
188 Posts
(Offline)
April 30, 2013 - 6:54 pm

Okay, it looks like the codling moth is already starting to fly in Vancouver, Washington as of April 30th....and thus, perhaps, Portland. This seems to be a little earlier than usual. I didn't realize we had reached "biofix" already. I will quote some information from the htt://das.wsu.edu website and give a very brief read on how I read this.....but in case I am wrong (quite possible) please register for that website yourself. My read is that the first generation codling moth is starting to fly and to lay eggs already. These eggs will start hatching by about May 10th at which time if someone applies a traditional insecticide (and no ovicide) and that that kills emerging larvae then those growers and homeowners need to be doing that at that time.
Anyway, the above is way too simple. Here is what website says for the Vancouver Washington site (Seattle is a little later):

Codling Moth

Last Updated: 04/30/2013
Degree days since January 1st. = 235
(old: after biofix = 60 DD)

Current Conditions:
6% of CM adults should have emerged. No eggs have hatched, but they should start being laid at 225 DD (50 DD after biofix).

Conventional Management:
If you are going to use an insecticide that kills CM eggs (Intrepid, Esteem, Rimon), it should be applied between 225-325 DD (50-150 DD after biofix). Using an ovicide at this time allows you to delay the first larvicide application to 525 DD (350 DD after biofix). If you are planning to use an insecticide at an egg hatch timing then a repeat application of the ovicide is not necessary. If an ovicide only control program is followed (not recommended) then two additional applications at a re-treatment interval of 14 days should be used.

Projected Forecast:

Conditions:

Egg hatch is imminent. 40% of CM adults should have emerged. Egg hatch should start at 395 DD (220 DD after biofix) and trap catch should still be increasing.

Conventional Management:

Insecticides that kill young CM larvae before they enter the fruit should be applied by 425 DD (250 DD after biofix). The timing of a repeat application depends on the residual activity of the product used. Every 20 DD delay in treatment results in 3-5% increase in egg hatch past 455 DD (280 DD after biofix).

John S
PDX OR
2823 Posts
(Offline)
May 4, 2013 - 5:11 pm

Thanks Don,
I normally start putting on my fruit sox and ziplocs during the first week in May. Asian pears are the first ones I do, because they get nailed if you do nothing, and they have the largest fruits first. Good to hear about the correlation between the scientifically measured time and the old school "marble sized" method I use.
John S
PDX OR

DonRicks
188 Posts
(Offline)
May 6, 2013 - 11:15 am

It's been very warm lately....the latest news for that weather station indicates that many moths are flying now, some eggs have been laid.....and that by May 8th or 9th (as I understand it), the very first eggs will start to be hatched in the Vancouver Washington area.
Those applying foot sox have a month and a half (roughly) to apply to protect against the apple maggot fly.....if that is the main bug that people are concerned about........but if you want protection against the codling moth as well and you have a super-high-density codling moth population (probable in downtown Portland), then I recommend super-strong foot sox soaked in kaolin clay and applied as soon as possible.
Fortunately for us in Seattle's woodsy Piper's orchard (http://www.pipersorchard.org) we don't have a codling moth population....we only have an apple maggot population to worry about.....and we can get away with flimsy, non-kaolin foot sox applied up until late June.
Every place is different.
I should mention also that the old "stand-by" of #2 bleached paper sacks (as used by people such as Quentin Fadness) are still proven effective against both bugs....and that this year I am experimenting with a fast-applicating device that will put up Ziploc-type bags on apples as well...all can work....and will work against everything until or unless we get a bad population of brown marmorated stink bugs.....but maybe we don't have to worry about that for the next few years....if at all.

redberry
51 Posts
(Offline)
May 12, 2013 - 7:46 am

[quote="John S":1dqcc26y]Thanks Don,
I normally start putting on my fruit sox and ziplocs during the first week in May. Asian pears are the first ones I do, because they get nailed if you do nothing, and they have the largest fruits first. Good to hear about the correlation between the scientifically measured time and the old school "marble sized" method I use.
John S
PDX OR[/quote:1dqcc26y]

I follow similar timing. In the past, it was also driven by when I had time due to work and when it wasn't raining!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Idyllwild
Moderators:
jafar
Marsha H
Viron
John S
Top Posters:
Rooney: 781
DanielW: 519