Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
2023 Fall Fruit Show - Bremerton, WA
- Related Tags
JeanW
52 Posts
(Offline)
October 16, 2023 - 1:27 am

Feel like a fruit tasting trip?  Here’s your chance to sample locally grown fruit from our huge display and find a new favorite.  The vast majority of these varieties aren’t available in any store, and some are quite rare.  It’s also a good opportunity to get your mystery apples identified.  Bring 4-6 samples of each kind, don’t wash them, leave the stems on, tell us about the tree.  There are also lots of educational displays, speakers on the half hour, trees for sale, and experts to talk to.  Hope to see you Oct. 28 from 10 to 4 at the West Side Improvement Club, 4109 West E St., Bremerton, WA  98312.  Free admission.

DSCF7105-Medium.JPG

Attachments
jafar
805 Posts
(Offline)
October 16, 2023 - 10:49 pm

I just came here to post the Facebook link to this show.

I'm tempted to go.

@davem here's your chance to get the HP apple identified.

davem
367 Posts
(Offline)
October 16, 2023 - 11:24 pm

Thanks @jafar.  At this point I don't care enough to drive that far, but someday I might.  For now I'll just enjoy eating them 🙂

katmendeux
45 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2023 - 11:20 am

Hi,

Went to this Fruit Show yesterday, and it is a wonderful event. Lots and lots of fruit to taste, including lots of heirlooms and some rare varieties. Labels by the plates gave useful info. Seems like every time I taste apples, I find another few that I'd like to grow. Finally got to try the original old-time Delicious. What a surprise! They're really pretty good, in an uncomplicated sweet kind of way. Tough skins, though. My fav was Laxton's Superb. Also sweet, but in a burst-of-flavor, complicated way. They also had a really nice display of cider apples. Didn't try any, since the cider apples I've tried are truly awful fresh. Will have to wait for the cider.

Best part of the show is the people who put it on. They know their stuff and they're friendly and helpful.

In mid-March, they put on a grafting event, with hundreds of scions and rootstocks, berries, grapes, etc.

Cheers,

katmendeux

John S
PDX OR
2874 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2023 - 4:18 pm

I'm glad that there's something out there like our old HOS events.  These new ones may be farther away for many and a lot more expensive, but it's something that is still available.

John S
PDX OR

JeanW
52 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2023 - 2:47 am

Katmendeux, thank you for the kind words about the Peninsula Fruit Club show.  I’m glad you were able to attend and enjoyed it.  Next time you come, look me up and introduce yourself!  At the fall shows, I’m at the apple ID table learning from either Lori Brakken or Shaun Shepherd or some years both of them.

John S, the post above from ia9726311 is spam.  I tried to find a button or some way to report it but could not find any way to flag the post.  I tried to message you about it, but it must not have gone through.  Please delete.  Thank you.

jafar
805 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2023 - 10:59 am

Thanks Jean.

I didn't make it this year, but like John, glad that it exists.

The spam bots are getting more sophisticated it seems.  That message had a lot of content that appeals to this group, and even had a profile picture.

John S
PDX OR
2874 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2023 - 9:28 pm

Thanks Jean,

I didn't see your message until now. I sat, looking at it for a long time. I know more about growing fruit than computers, so I'm glad you all could tell the difference. There is a thread about SPAM, which you can put a post on if you wish.  I'm just wondering if someone is going to make a fruit show closer to here in Portland.

John S

PDX OR

JeanW
52 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2023 - 2:48 am

Jafar and JohnS, yes at first I thought someone was helping to advertise the show, but I realized they were just paraphrasing and embellishing what I had said in the original post—probably with AI.  I did not click on their link because I thought it would probably go somewhere bad.  Thank you for removing the post.  Would love to see some of the people from HOS come one of these days.  I brought a carload of people down to the HOS shows every year for quite a few years until the end.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Idyllwild
Moderators:
jafar
Marsha H
Viron
John S
Top Posters:
Rooney: 805
DanielW: 519