Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
2015 Scion Exchange
aww
3 Posts
(Offline)
December 28, 2014 - 6:10 pm

We are again planning on making the drive from Southern Colorado to Canby for the 2015 Scion Exchange, but need to know the date so we can make the necessary arrangements. Last year we did not learn the date until it was almost too late for us to make the drive. Don't want that to happen this year.

Thanks.

Allen

ArmedAmish
Sherwood, OR
12 Posts
(Offline)
December 30, 2014 - 1:31 pm

I'd also like to know the dates for the scion exchange, as well as whether it is too late to order trees (or request specific scions). Hopefully someone in the know will reply to this post!

Bryce

John S
PDX OR
2821 Posts
(Offline)
December 30, 2014 - 4:51 pm

The 2015 Fruit Propagation Fair is SUNDAY March 22 at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds.
John S
PDX OR

aww
3 Posts
(Offline)
January 4, 2015 - 7:04 am

Thanks, John. We will plan on being there. Long drive, but worth it.

Allen

John S
PDX OR
2821 Posts
(Offline)
January 11, 2015 - 10:40 am

Sure. I hope to meet you.
John S
PDX OR

Jimmbo
9 Posts
(Offline)
February 6, 2015 - 10:06 am

ArmedAmish had mentioned something about requesting specific varieties, which I never knew you could do.
Turns out you can.
My thought was, maybe that's how they decide what varieties to offer, and I would be helping out by providing my requests.
Wrong!
Don't request more than 3-4 unless you want your head bitten off!

sweepbjames
NE Portland, OR Cully Neighborhood
233 Posts
(Offline)
February 6, 2015 - 12:54 pm

Scion collection has been underway for some time now. Volunteers (not all that many :roll: ) have been traveling, as time allows, to locations and orchards around the bio region to cut/ gather label and store materials for the Propagation Fair.
Known locations for your requested scions may have already been visited, and if across state, may not be revisited this time.
probably best to get requested material wants in towards when? mid fall?

John S
PDX OR
2821 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2015 - 10:20 am

Maybe the winter is a good time to tell people about your requests. Remember, it's an all - volunteer run organization. It's not picked up by a company, but by a person, who is picking up scions instead of playing with their kids or visiting grandma, or playing in the softball championship that day.

There is a very small network of volunteers who gather the scions. In addition, regular orchardists, like us, bring in our prunings for the exchange.

The idea is don't take more than one when you go to the scion exchange. Definitely bring more than one to share. We have had some people with commercial orchards taking tons of them, so they could save money by breaking the rules instead of buying them. That means that the rest of us who are sharing don't get any.

I am always excited to see what will be available. I look forward to seeing you there.
John S
PDX OR

Jimmbo
9 Posts
(Offline)
February 12, 2015 - 11:42 am

I have no problem with limiting my request to 3-4 varieties, just wish someone had told me.
I'll know to get my request in earlier next year, if I make one at all.
It now occurs to me that even at 3-4 requests per member, it is still a lot of work cataloging requests coming from many individuals.
Too bad there is not a way for members to log in and make their requests, which would go into a single list.
Would require someone with computer skills I don't have, to put that capability into the HOS website.

At the 2013 exchange (I didn't go to the 2014 exchange) I got a single scion each of 86 different varieties.
I felt I got more than $6 in value, which is why I decided to pay for membership.
Don't care about the cost of membership & entrance so much, but I don't live close, so If I don't get about 40 varieties I'm not sure it's worth the trip.
If 40 to 100 varieties is not acceptable I would like to know before the exchange.
I agree that no one should take more than a single scion of any one variety.

I grafted many varieties each onto small trees, so I wouldn't have more than 1-3 scions of any one variety to offer yet.
I assume that's too few to be worth sorting (for the volunteers running the exchange).
Or, if it's not too few let me know.
When I do donate scions for the exchange, is it acceptable to bring them the morning of the exchange?

Viron
1400 Posts
(Offline)
February 13, 2015 - 5:56 pm

“Too bad there is not a way for members to log in and make their requests, which would go into a single list.
Would require someone with computer skills I don't have, to put that capability into the HOS website.”

Jimmbo, there are some major modifications in the works for our fourm; good idea…

“If 40 to 100 varieties is not acceptable I would like to know before the exchange.
I agree that no one should take more than a single scion of any one variety.”

...I rarely know (or completely follow) the rules… But, I graft till I drop (for free) so feel I’m ‘giving something’ in return. Personally ..if someone’s making their own trees and not starting a commercial orchard ..I wouldn’t tell, or care. Just keep ‘us’ in mind when your trees begin producing enough scion wood to share, drive included…

Another personal note, likely due to my long ago procured scions from the event ...I’ve Aerial Crown Gall and Anthracnose throughout my orchard thus no longer contribute sions because of that. Seems a shame, I’ve some wonderful cultivars, but they’re not clean. Perhaps we get what we pay for..?

“I assume that's too few to be worth sorting (for the volunteers running the exchange).
Or, if it's not too few let me know.”

Those Sorter’s are quick! ...I’d bring it in if you’ve stored and labeled it.

“When I do donate scions for the exchange, is it acceptable to bring them the morning of the exchange?”

I do… I don’t know if they’re all treated or fumigated though? I do know that’s not going to remove what ‘my scions’ would have…

Hope to see you there, I’ll likely be grafting 8)

John S
PDX OR
2821 Posts
(Offline)
March 15, 2015 - 5:54 pm

It's on Sunday. One week from today.
John S
PDX OR

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Idyllwild