Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_TopicIcon
2007 All About Fruit Show-When, Where?
gponder
39 Posts
(Offline)
July 16, 2007 - 4:53 pm

Can anyone tell me when the All About Fruit Show is this year. Also the location. Thanks

Steven
183 Posts
(Offline)
July 23, 2007 - 4:20 pm

Looks like it's going to be Saturday & Sunday, October 13 & 14, 10am-4pm at Alder Creek Middle School in Milwaukie. I'll be putting the speaker schedule and more information up on the website once most everything is finalized.

Viron
1400 Posts
(Offline)
July 24, 2007 - 9:05 am

Excellent! The same place as this years Scion Exchange; easy to find, plenty of parking, great access... and I suspect - relatively inexpensive.

I haven't gotten to our All About Fruit Show in years, and have no excuse other than it's Harvest Time... I may try (again) this year to set up a grafting display -- so we can really fill that building up next Spring! :D

Steven
183 Posts
(Offline)
September 29, 2007 - 9:01 am

FYI, All About Fruit Show information is now online here: http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/aafs/
(if you have not seen it already)

Dubyadee
Puyallup, Washington, USA
239 Posts
(Offline)
October 1, 2007 - 5:05 pm

Custom Trees for $10 at the All About Fruit Show: I noticed the custom trees mentioned in the announcement. Will there be persimmons available? Will these be grafted at the event or were they grafted earlier this year and grown in pots?

By coincidence I plan to be in Portland during the weekend of your All about Fruit Show.

jafarj
422 Posts
(Offline)
October 1, 2007 - 10:51 pm

I think they take the orders at the event and then graft and make them available in the Spring.

Viron
1400 Posts
(Offline)
October 2, 2007 - 10:58 am

Dubyadee,

The "problem" taking Persimmon orders is the fact they are "built" from wood that arrives at the spring event. I make it a point to haul in my two varieties of persimmon scions, but there's no way of guessing what varieties of persimmon will actually arrive? …And mine don’t arrive early enough to “make-a-tree,” they arrive with me… Plus, persimmon rootstock may be difficult to come by; we haven’t always had it, though I know we did at this Spring's grafting event, but it may not be available next year.

My suggestion, come to the spring event and have a tree grafted then and there -- using the best varieties (cultivars) and scions you can find. It may be somewhat of a gamble ... but it would have paid off last spring. I grafted one Persimmon tree - maybe I'd end up grafting yours - perhaps using my own wood!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Idyllwild
Moderators:
jafar
Marsha H
Viron
John S
Top Posters:
Rooney: 782
DanielW: 519